Be a Mentor Teacher
Current K-12 Teachers: be a mentor teacher! The Cal Teach program is looking for teachers currently working in K-12 classrooms who are willing to share their expertise and experience by having a Cal Teach student assist in their classrooms. Cal Teach assistants are college students majoring in math, science, or engineering, who are interested in pursuing a K-12 math or science teaching career.
As a mentor teacher, we ask that you:
- Allow classroom assistants to observe your class before they begin interacting with the students and engaging in lessons and activities.
- Provide some background about your school, grade level, district, and community as well as constructive and informative criticism during the placement.
- Share your philosophy and understanding of science and math teaching.
- Have classroom assistants work with individual students or small groups, when appropriate.
- Suggest relevant and specific content or standards that the classroom assistants could use in developing lessons.
- Allow classroom assistants to implement their lessons in your classroom, if appropriate.
Mentor teachers receive a stipend for the time and guidance that they provide to their Cal Teach classrooms assistants. If you're interested in having a Cal Teach student in your classroom, please contact Program Advisor Winnie Froehlich with your questions.