Cal Teach Courses & Minor

I’m a transfer student. Can I complete the Cal Teach minor during the two years I spend at Berkeley?

Yes, you can certainly finish the minor in two years. Visit our course pathways page for an example course plan, then schedule an appointment with our Student Services Coordinator to discuss your options.

What classes do I need to take for the Cal Teach minor?

The Cal Teach minor courses are EDUC 130, EDUC 131AC (formerly EDUC 195C), UGIS 188 (or UGIS 189, the Summer Research Institute), one of HISTORY 138T/180T/182T, and UGIS 187. One introductory course—either UGIS 82 or 82S—must have been taken priod to EDUC 130 to be able to enroll.

Can I participate in Cal Teach if I am not a math or science major?

Yes, any student at UC Berkeley can take Cal Teach courses and complete the minor. However, the Cal Teach credential is only available to students majoring in a science, math, engineering, or technology field. Consult with the Cal Teach Student Services Coordinator if you are not sure whether your academic background qualifies you for the credential program.

What is the difference between the minor and the teaching credential?

The minor in Science and Math Education, also known as the Cal Teach minor, consists of 5 required courses after a prerequisite series. Any undergraduate student at UC Berkeley can complete the minor. The Cal Teach teaching credential requires an application and is only open to students with strong math and science content in their academic schoolwork. The teaching credential requires one additional course and at least one semester of apprentice teaching after completion of the minor. The teaching credential qualifies recipients to hold a certificated teaching position in a California school.

When is the deadline to complete the Cal Teach minor?

The 5 courses required for the minor must be completed prior to graduation. UGIS 303 is required only for the teaching credential, not for the minor, and can be taken after graduation.

How many units is UGIS 303?

UGIS 303 is a 3-unit course.


Which tests should I take?

You must take and pass the California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST). You also need to pass the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET) subtests that correspond to the subject(s) in which you plan to apply for certification. Please click here for a table of which CSET subtests are required for each subject. It is generally recommended that math students pursue the full Mathematics credential rather than Foundational-Level Math credential and that science students pursue the General Science credential rather than the Specialized Science credential. See the Cal Teach Student Services Coordinator if you have additional questions.

Should I send my CBEST and CSET scores to UC Berkeley?

Yes, you should have your CBEST and CSET scores sent to UC Berkeley. You should also check the box during registration to have your score report emailed as a PDF Score Report. Include a printed copy of your Score Report with your application to the credential program.

Can I take multiple CSET tests in one day?

It depends on how you are as a test taker, but it is possible to take up to 3 subtests in one day. Because the Math CSET exams are computerized and allow for more scheduling flexibility, students generally choose to take the 3 Math CSET subtests on separate testing sessions.

When should I plan to take the CBEST and CSET?

You should begin researching test dates and studying for the CBEST and CSET approximately 1 year in advance of the semester when you plan to begin the credential program.

What is the deadline for taking the CBEST and CSET?

All required exams must be taken in time to submit your scores with your application for the credential program (October 1 for Spring admission or March 15 for Fall admission). If you do not have passing scores at the time of application, include the confirmation page for your test date registration in your application.

Are there scholarships available to pay for the CBEST and CSET?

Cal Teach is not aware of any scholarships or financial resources available specifically for the CBEST and CSET registration fees. However, you can reduce costs by planning ahead and registering before the deadline to avoid a late fee. The CBEST can also be taken as a paper-based exam on specific test dates which is less expensive than taking the computer-based test with an additional $61 computer service fee. Students who receive the Cal Teach Noyce and Koshland scholarships can also use this funding for any purpose, including to pay for test registration fees.

Credential Application & Requirements

Can I analyze the same lesson plan for different sections in my portfolio?

Yes, it is fine to use the same lesson, or different lessons-- the most important thing is to focus on specific and different aspects of your lesson(s) to highlight your teaching strengths in the different sections of the portfolio.

If I have already been fingerprinted, do I have to do it again for the Certificate of Clearance?

Yes, you will need to complete the LiveScan fingerprinting process again for your Certificate of Clearance. If you have been fingerprinted for a field placement, your background check results were sent directly to the school where you were volunteering. For the Certificate of Clearance, you must use the CTC LiveScan form to have your results sent to the CTC.

Does Cal Teach pay for fingerprinting or TB testing?

No, Cal Teach does not pay for either of these processes for the credential application. The LiveScan processing fee typically ranges from $69-74 and the online Certification of Clearance application fee is $37. TB testing is generally covered under most insurance policies.

How do I get TB tested?

The UHS Tang Center offers free TB testing on a drop-in basis to students with SHIP ($20 to students without SHIP). Students without SHIP may choose to have their TB test done through their own medical provider or for free at the Berkeley Free Clinic.

Can I take UGIS 303 and complete the credential after graduating from UC Berkeley?

Yes, students who are admitted to the Cal Teach credential program can enroll in UGIS 303 through concurrent enrollment in UC Berkeley Extension if they have already graduated.

How do I find a mentor teacher for apprentice teaching?

Cal Teach staff will work with you to help identify a good mentor teacher. You should begin thinking about a mentor teacher during the semester before you apply for the credential program. You may want to ask a teacher you have worked with in one of your Cal Teach courses, or ask them if they can connect you with other teachers at their school. You can also ask other students in your program if they have recommendations.

Is financial aid available for the credential program?

If you are completing the credential before graduation, it will be considered part of your undergraduate studies with no change in your financial aid eligibility. If you are completing the credential program through UC Berkeley Extension after graduation, you will not be eligible for financial aid through the campus but you can still apply for the Cal Teach Noyce scholarship.