Resumes and Cover Letters
Your resume and cover letter are among the most important documents in the job application process. Hence, it is immensely important to present yourself in a professional manner while still remaining concise. This allows hiring managers to quickly glean the most important information about you.
While many styles and recommendations exist for resumes and cover letters, they are ultimately representative of you and your own experiences. We encourage you to preserve your unique qualities in these documents while you develop and acquire feedback on them.
To help in this process, we have curated some materials to help you.
Review this presentation on tuning up your resume and cover letter. It goes over the purpose, content, and structure of an excellent resume and persuasive cover letter.
Sample Resume and Cover Letter
You may view the sample documents below as models for your own resume and cover letter.
- Keep your formatting appealing and consistent
- Use a variety of action verbs to enhance your accomplishments
- Use the STAR method to keep your answers concise:
Situation, Task, Action, Result.
- Include all educative certifications that are either currently held or being worked towards
- Talk about your accomplishments, quantify their outcomes, and outline skills acquired or lessons learned
- Include only what you need to show that you are the best candidate (brevity can leave the reviewer wanting more; unnecessary or irrelevant experiences can hurt your resume)
- Search the Internet for more tips!
A valuable resource available through the Career Center is their Successful Interviewing guide (which we highly recommend looking at!).
When interviewing, you should expect to:
- Bring a complete teaching portfolio that you have a detailed knowledge of, containing:
- Your statement of teaching philosophy
- Sample lesson(s) and student work
- Demo a sample lesson (one may also be scheduled for a later date)
- Use specific examples from your teaching experiences to answer questions
- Be comfortable talking about yourself in a positive manner!
As a Cal alumni, you can sign up for Alumni Advantage to receive many of the same advantages that you had as a student, including access to job listings, interview workshops, career counseling, and more.